Memorial Day is almost here — can you believe it? As the unofficial kick-off of summer, we tend to overindulge on summery classics that aren’t the healthiest for us (hot dogs and ketchup anyone?). We wanted to share some of festive classics with a slightly healthier (and chiarrific!) twist, all while still staying true to the red, white and blue!
Cheesecake Filled Strawberries With Chia
- 24 large, fresh organic strawberries
- 1 (8oz) package organic cream cheese, room temperature or softened slightly
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp organic white chia seeds
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- Wash your strawberries, then cut the stems from the strawberries, so the strawberries can sit cut-side down.
- On the opposite side of the strawberrry, cut an”X” from the tip down, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice in a bowl until soft and fluffy.
- Gently open up each strawberry and pipe the filling inside using a pastry bag or plastic sandwich bag with a star piping tip.
- Sprinkle with chia seeds and top with a blueberry. These are best served after the strawberries have been chilled for at least an hour.
Dressed Up Deviled Eggs With Chia
- 12 organic, cage free eggs
- 1/3 cup organic Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp organic mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp organic Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp organic black chia seeds
- 2 tsp organic vinegar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp natural, plant-based red food coloring of choice
- 1 tsp natural, plant-based blue food coloring of choice
- Place eggs in a large saucepan. Cover them with cool water by 1 inch. Slowly bring water to a boil over medium heat; when the water has reached a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit 12 minutes.
- Drain eggs and place back in saucepan. Make an ice bath and let sit for 15 minutes. This will allow the eggs to easily peel.
- Peel and cut your hard boiled eggs (make sure they are cooled down), placing yoke in a bowl.
- For the red dye, combine 1 cup boiling water with 1 tsp. vinegar and 1 tsp. red dye in a medium bowl. For the blue dye, combine 1 cup boiling water with 1 tsp. vinegar and 1 tsp. blue dye in another medium bowl.
- Place 4 eggs in the red dye bowl, and another 4 eggs in the blue dye bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes, remove and then pat dry. We recommend repeating this step to ensure brightly colored, vibrant eggs.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together egg yolks, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, and salt. Scoop into eggs, or pipe them using a pastry bag or zip-top bag with a piping tip
- Sprinkle with chia seeds and paprika (if desired). Enjoy!
Red, White and Blue Sangria With Chia
- 1/3 cup organic turbinado sugar
- 2 cups organic blueberries, divided
- 1 cup loosely cut organic strawberries
- 1 bottle (750 ml) rosé
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 Tbsp. Grand Marnier
- 1/3 cup Blackberry Hibiscus Vitality Beverage
- 3 cups sliced fruit: we used peaches, lemon, and strawberries
- In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup turbinado sugar with 1/3 cup hot water to create a simple syrup.
- Pour simple syrup into blender, add 1 cup blueberries and blend until smooth. Pour mixture directly into pitcher (option to strain out solids to extract as much liquid as possible before pouring into pitcher).
- Pour the remaining blueberries into the pitcher, along with the cut strawberries. Then add the bottle of rosé, bourbon, Grand Marnier, Blackberry Hibiscus and sliced fruit.
- Stir and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!