As a result, some lightly sweetened brands of granola are starting to emerge. Mr. Bellatti, the dietitian, said he often recommends Mamma Chia’s Vanilla Almond granola, which has about 10 grams of sugar per cup. Read more…
I bring these bite-size energy balls with me when I’m on the go, and they take just minutes to whip up! They’re made with Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds, which provide a satiating mix of protein, fiber, and healthy fat. Read more…
Suspended chia seeds are kind of an amazing drink, especially when they’re suspended in fruit juice or green juice. You can totally make it at home or buy it. Of late, I’ve been pretty obsessed with the new Mamma Chia’s Organic Chia & Greens… Read more…
We love sharing our chia seed recipes with you and wanted to change things up! We reached out to some of our most influential and inspiring brand ambassadors and asked them: “How do you use chia?” We were so delighted by their creativity, we just had to share this round-up of why they love the Magic of Chia®. Check out how they incorporate these tiny powerhouses into their daily lives, and hopefully you will get some recipe inspiration for your own chia seed creations!
- Amie Valpone | The Healthy Apple
2. Andrea | Earthy Andy
- (2) 8 oz. package of pitted dates
- 1 cup coconut sugar or 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp of water (*only add this if using coconut sugar and not maple syrup)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (optional)
- 3 Tbsp Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-1 1/2 cups mulberries (or Rice Krispies/oats)
- 1/4 cup organic coconut shreds
- Chop dates until sticky. In a large flat pan mix in water, coconut oil and coconut sugar. Cook on medium to low heat stirring consistently until you reach a paste-like consistency. (This will roughly take about 10 minutes or until you see little bubbles).
- Add vanilla while letting it cool down to touch.
- Mix in chia seeds, coconut, and mulberries (or Rice Krispies).
- Once combined, roll into balls and transfer to a plate with coconut shreds and roll again.
- Store in an air tight container and in the refrigerator.
3. Monette Moio | Sweet Eats
4. Ashley & Brittany | Twins Kitchen
- 1/4 cup Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds
- 1 cup almond or any nut milk
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Coconut flakes
- 1/2 banana
Chocolate Avocado Mousse:
- 1 ripe avocado
- Less than 1/4 almond milk
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup
- Whisk chia pudding ingredients together and chill in fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Add avocado mousse ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator until the chia pudding is ready.
- Once chia seeds have created a pudding like consistency begin to layer the pudding into a glass with coconut, bananas, fresh fruit, and top with the chilled avocado mousse you prepared earlier for a nutritious and decadent treat!
- Store any remaining leftovers in an air tight container and place in the refrigerator for later.
- Dig in and enjoy!
Now it’s your turn! How do YOU use chia? We’d love to know! Send us a note at email@example.com and you might just be featured in our next blog post!
Pumpkin spice and everything nice! You bet we are indulging in pumpkin now that fall is here. This spin on pumpkin flavored goodness is a tasty way to blend summer indulgences with the flavors of the season. Trick-or-treat chia-self and whip up a batch of this vegan-friendly ice cream featuring everyone’s favorite fall flavor!
*Ice cream maker is needed to create recipe.
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk (or any other dairy-free alternative)
- 1 1/2 cups organic pumpkin puree
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp organic ground ginger
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Mamma Chia Cinnamon Pecan Chia Granola Clusters (garnish)
*Ice cream maker is needed to create recipe
- First add coconut milk and pumpkin puree in a medium size bowl. Stir ingredients together.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, except the granola.
- Transfer mixture into your ice cream maker.
- Let ice cream churn for 15-20 minutes or follow the manufacturers instructions that were included with your ice cream maker.
- Serve in a small bowl or cone and garnish with Mamma Chia Cinnamon Pecan Chia Granola Clusters.
- Transfer remaining ice cream into a freezer safe container and store in freezer.
HAPPY NATIONAL COFFEE DAY!
We like you a latte…so much, that we wanted to share this chia x coffee overnight oats recipe so you can get your fix all in one cup, making it the perfect blend! This brew-tiful two-for-one will not only keep you satisfied until lunch, but will also give you that necessary early morning buzz to get your day started. Change up your regular cup of joe this week and espress-yo love for chia seeds and coffee with this delightful vegan breakfast treat!
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup organic almond milk
- 1/4 cup Chameleon Cold Brew Black Coffee
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 bag of Mamma Chia Vanilla Almond Granola Clusters
- 2-3 pieces of organic dark chocolate (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients (except the chocolate and granola) into a medium sized bowl and mix together.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or let it sit overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator when ready to eat. Served cold.
- Garnish with granola clusters and crumbled dark chocolate.
Suit up and double knot those cleats….are you ready for some FOOTBALL? Stadiums and homes filled with cheering fans, the cool breeze of autumn in your hair, the smell of…oh sorry, we got a little carried away! But, football season is officially here! We are gearing up for the big games with a list of tasty tailgating recipes that will convert to touchdowns at your party. You can even incorporate our secret powerhouse ingredient, chia seeds, to make those football party treats a little more guilt-free, if you’re up for the challenge. There are no penalty flags on the play, just choose your favorite recipe and be ready to tackle your taste buds!
CHIA-eers! Here’s a his and hers beverage idea that will score with everyone, no matter what team you’re rooting for!
1.Bloody Mary Beer by Lady Behind the Curtain
This savory concotion is a great way to settle your belly if you’re off to a rocky start before the party begins. You can also throw in a spoonful of chia seeds to help you stay hydrated throughout the game.
2. Tailgate Sipper by Fake Ginger
For a lighter refreshment, try this bourbon based cocktail. For a little added tartness, we like to add a splash of our Strawberry Lemonade Vitality Beverage.
1.Mac n’ Cheese Bites by Old House to New Home
There are absolutely no utensils required to tackle this cheesy goodness. Just pop it right into your mouth! For an added crunch, simply sprinkle a tablespoon of chia over the top and voila, Mac n’ Chia Cheese Bites. Yum!
2. Cauliflower Tots by Just a Taste
Everyone loves tots! What better way to sneak some veggies into your tailgating shindig than to wrap them up in some tater tots that sure won’t disappoint. Add two tablespoons of chia seeds for more texture, or to take your tots to the next level, create a variety of sauces to dip and dunk your appetizers.
3. Smoky Sweet Potato Dip by Healthy Aperture
Sweeten up the party with this healthy chip and dip. This simple dip will delight your taste buds and won’t leave you feeling like a linebacker. Toss a dash of chia seeds in to give it a little crunch!
1.Football Whoopie Pies by The Cake Blog
Score a touchdown and satisfy your sweet tooth with this delightful dessert. You’ll be the ultimate victor with this treat on your special teams. You can even try and create a vegan-friendly version by using non-dairy milk and “chia eggs” instead!
Still trying to find your back-to-school groove? These chia-full bars are a great grab-and-go snack packed with Omega-3s and protein to fuel you up before you start the day! Both vegan and gluten-free, these bars are filled with tasty raspberry chia jam to add a touch of sweetness, making them the perfect treat to enjoy with a cup of joe or tea! Just prep and pop them in the oven the night before the school week begins and you’ll be set for those mornings you find yourself rushing out the door.
Raspberry Chia Jam
- 3 cups organic frozen raspberries
- 2 Tbsp Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds
- 3 Tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract
Granola & Oat Bars
- Mamma Chia Vanilla Almond Chia Granola Clusters
- 1 chia egg (1 Tbsp Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds + 4 Tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp organic brown rice syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, ground into flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Raspberry Chia Jam: In a medium pot, combine all the ingredients listed above, except for the vanilla extract, stirring until it’s combined. Bring the ingredients to a low boil. Once it reaches a low boil, reduce the heat to medium. Cover the pot and let the jam simmer for about 10 minutes. Continuously stir jam while it simmers until the raspberries melt and the contents start to thicken. Remove pot from stove and stir in the vanilla extract. Transfer the jam into a closed container and place in the freezer to cool.
- Granola & Oat Squares: Create your chia egg by combining the chia seeds and water in a small mug. Mix and set aside at room temperature for about 5 minutes or until it thickens.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir your melted coconut oil, maple syrup, honey, and vanilla. Add chia egg in once it’s ready.
- Create your rolled oat flour by grinding it in a food processor or high-speed blender on high until you reach a flour like consistency. It should happen fairly quickly.
- Add one ingredient at a time, stirring in first the rolled oats, almond flour, oat flour, baking soda, and salt until the mixture comes together. The mixture should be sticky.
- Take 2/3 of the oat mixture in to the baking pan. Use a piece of parchment paper to press the contents down and spread evenly across the pan. You may need to press the dough firmly against the pan with a spatula.
- Remove raspberry chia jam from the freezer and layer it evenly over the oat mixture.
- Use the remaining oat mixture to layer over the chia jam, crumbling it on top.
- Place the breakfast bars in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, uncovered. After the first 20 minutes, remove the bars and sprinkle Mamma Chia Vanilla Almond Chia Granola Clusters on top for an extra crunch. If the tops of the bars appear to have browned cover the pan in tinfoil for the remainder 5-10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and set aside to cool for 30 mins. Carefully slice the bars into squares and enjoy!
School is back in session and souls of all ages are on the go. Staying hydrated and fueled is a must while shuttling between work, school and extra-curricular activities. Psssst…We’ll let you in on a little secret! Our Chia Squeeze will come to the rescue for that mid-morning snack or afternoon pick-me-up, wherever your day takes you. We’ve put together all the different ways to get’chia Squeeze on below and show how you can ‘Seeds the Day’ with the Magic of Chia®.
Looking for some more Chia Squeeze information? Look no further than our Chia Squeeze Infographic:
1. No Need to Refrigerate!
Enjoy at room temperature! Skip the bruised banana and toss a Strawberry Banana Chia Squeeze in your gym bag instead. This non-perishable snack is an excellent source of fiber and protein to pack along with you on your next trip to the fitness studio.
2. Great for Any Diet!
No need to refrigerate! Squeeze more nutrients into your family’s diet. Our Chia Squeeze is gluten-free and vegan friendly, allowing everyone to benefit from the Magic of Chia®.
3. Take it On-the-go!
School is back in session and Mamma is on the go. Slip this energy boosting snack in a purse or clutch as each pouch is packed with 1200mg of Omega-3s to help Mamma refuel and power through the day.
4. Treat Yourself…
…with this delightful frozen treat! Pop a pouch in the freezer for a nutritious cool down or indulge in something extra special like a Berry Chia Yogurt Pop.
5. Get-Chia Greens
Add a little extra MAGIC to your little soul’s lunchbox with our Green Magic Chia Squeeze. Sneak in some power greens with this pouch that contains kale, spirulina, and chlorella making it an ideal after-school powerhouse snack to curb hunger in between meals.
6. Come Fly with Me
Pack light during your travels whether you’re headed for a vacation getaway or business trip. This 3.5 oz pouch is airport friendly. Throw it in your carry-on tote and breeze through security. Instead of the airline snack pack, get a burst of nutrients with Mamma Chia’s Organic Squeeze snack.
Sun “so hot it will melt your Popsicle”…or your ice cream in this case! Summer is officially a wrap after Labor Day weekend. Treat chia-self and your guests one last time during the holiday weekend with a creamy homemade treat! This marbled blueberry ice cream with hints of lavender and coconut goodness will have everyone melting over this delightful dessert. Take one scoop, two scoops, maybe even three! There’s plenty to go around for everyone to cool off with!
* This recipe requires an ice cream maker to create a creamy-like consistency.
- 2 cans of full fat organic canned coconut milk or organic cream
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk
- 1/3 cup organic blue agave
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 2 tsp dried organic culinary lavender
- 1 1/2 cups organic blueberries
- 2 Tbsp organic brown sugar
- Optional: Wild Blueberry Chia Granola Clusters as a topping
- Add canned coconut, coconut milk, and agave to a medium saucepan. Heat the ingredients on low and slowly bring to a simmer being careful not to boil. Once ingredients start to simmer turn off stove and let it cool for a couple minutes.
- Transfer ingredients from the saucepan to a blender and add lavender and vanilla. Blend for a minute or until ingredients are combined.
- Place mixture in a covered container and stow away in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Blend or mash up your blueberries with a fork and transfer into a small pan with brown sugar over medium heat. Stir together the ingredients until it starts to thicken. After about 15 minutes or when it reaches a syrup like consistency remove from heat, transfer into a covered container and stow in the refrigerator with the ice cream base.
- Pour coconut base into your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions until it reaches a soft serve texture. Ours took about 15-20 minutes. Transfer ice cream into a freezer friendly container filling it only half way with the coconut base. Take out your blueberry sauce and layer it on top. Repeat this again first layering in the coconut and placing the blueberry layer on top. Once tray is filled swirl together the ingredients with a knife or a toothpick to create a marbled look in the ice cream. Once finished cover the ice cream and place into the freezer for 3-4 hours or until the ice cream is hard enough to enjoy!
Let’s jam it out! Chia jam that is. Keep chasing those summer vibes and get your taste buds going with a juicy peach chia jam! Whip up this versatile treat so you can enjoy at all times throughout the day. Spread it across some crisp toast, slap together two pieces of bread with some peanut butter for a PB & chia jelly sandwich, or add a dab of it to a light cracker during your wine and cheese night for a hint of sweetness on your palate.
- 2 organic peaches
- 2 Tbsp organic sweetener of your choice (we used honey)
- 2 Tbsp Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds
- 1/2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- Rinse off your peaches and cut into halves. Skin the outer layer of the peach and remove it’s pit.
- Throw peaches into a blender or food processor with honey added. Slightly pulse the peaches until you reach a consistency of your liking.
- Add 2 tablespoons chia seeds and ½ tsp of cinnamon, stir well.
- Transfer the chia jam into an air tight container and let it sit for at least 3 hours.
- Spread on toast or crackers for a sweet healthy treat!
We’re feeling hot, hot, hot this month as the summer days are coming to an end. Squeeze in some last minute rays and spice up your warm weather game with these DIY Summer Essentials. As pre and post sun necessities, this beach towel and aloe vera go hand-in-hand, especially when the majority of the day is spent outside basking in the sun.
DIY Beach Towel
Let your creative soul shine through with this custom beach towel made with one common household item…bleach! Create witty summer sayings like “In need of Vitamin Sea”, “Salty but Sweet”, or “Seas the Day” on your favorite colored towel. You can also ditch the quote and create a bleach design like (splatters, polka dots, stripes, tie dye, etc.) instead! Your towel can be anything you want it to be. Get crafting and show off your towel at the beach or pool before your summer fun is over!
*We suggest adult supervision if working with children
What You Need:
- beach towel
- 1/2 cup bleach
- 1/2 water
- rubber gloves
- card board
- spray bottle
- thick paper, card stock, or stencils
- Type out the quote you chose onto a document making sure letters are big enough so when you go to print there is only one letter per page. If you are using store bought stencils skip to Step 3.
- Cut down the letters into smaller rectangles so when you place them on the towel they are as close together as possible. Remove the inside lettering from the rectangle to create a stencil, but remember to keep inside pieces that have holes in the center i.e. (D, O, R).
- In a well ventilated area, set up your work surface by laying out a piece of cardboard to place the towel on. Set your stencils on the towel in the desired order. To avoid splattering outside of your stencils use extra pieces of cardboard to surround any open space that could be ruined if you want a more clean look to your towel. Also, tape any seams between each stencil to prevent bleeding in between letters (see in photo below).
- Mix 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup bleach into a squirt bottle. Put your rubber gloves on and begin to spray the letters evenly with the bleach mixture. BEFORE spraying make sure to twist the squirt bottle cap and test each spray until you reach a light mist. This is very important so you don’t over-saturate the towel with bleach causing your letters to bleed with one another. Stand 2-3 feet away as you spray to lightly cover the stencils. Spray no more than 15 times. From there use your judgement for how much more you should spray for your desired look. Depending on the towel some colors will change quickly, others like the one in the photo, will take a while to notice any change so be patient during this process. Once finished spraying, let the bleached towel sit for no more than 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes and with rubber gloves on, remove towel from work surface and rinse out the towel in a sink or tub with cold water. Wring out the towel and toss it into a washer with laundry detergent. Transfer to a dryer after it’s finished. While towel is in the wash dispose of the cardboard and stencils with gloves on.
- Once towel is dried, take it for a trip to the beach or hit the pool and show off your summer creation!
DIY Aloe Vera Cooling Cubes
After a day full of fun in the sun your skin may be a little irritated with you. We all know the common remedy to curing sun burnt skin is aloe vera. But, before you go out and buy the store bought option create your own 100% natural aloe vera cooling cubes at home. They will relieve your skin and have it thanking you and singing “aloe you vera much”, after this extra special treatment. Chill out! Not only will this organic remedy take some heat off, it will also cool your skin to the touch since this DIY remedy requires freezing to help soothe and return your skin to its happy state.
What You Need:
- dixie cups or ice cube tray
- lavender essential oil
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp witch hazel extract
- 1/4 cup aloe vera gel from Medical Aloe Plant
- Melt your coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl for 10-15 seconds if solid. Remove from microwave, add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, mix the two ingredients together and set aside.
- Remove a few stems from your aloe plant that will give you at least 1/4 cup of aloe gel. It is very important that you are using aloe from a Medical Aloe Plant as this is specifically used for topical usage. Skin the aloe gel from its outer shell until you have several clear gel strips. Dice the aloe and add to the bowl of coconut and avocado oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of witch hazel to the bowl and 8-10 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Whisk together all the ingredients until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pour mixture into dixie cups and freeze overnight.
- Remove from freezer and rip around the edges of the dixie cup until aloe pop is exposed. Slowly move across sun burnt shoulders, arms, and legs to soothe your skin. Pop any remaining aloe back in the freezer for next time.
“Beet, cherries and chia seeds are three of the best foods for runners. Full of antioxidants, nitrates and omega-3’s, these foods have been linked to increased speed, improved endurance and quicker recovery. This little packet serves them all up in one tasty little package, a perfect 70-calorie snack.” -Jessica Sebor, editor in chief Read more…
The start of school is rapidly approaching. And, let’s face it – you aren’t going to be creating homemade lunches from scratch every single day. Fortunately, grocery stores are offering better packaged options that aren’t just good for your health, they give back to the community and planet as well. Here are a few lunchbox upgrades to consider when stocking up for back to school. Read more…
Hip, hip, HOORAY! We’re celebrating Mamma Chia’s birthday this week and of course there has to be cake… chia cake that is! Don’t feel guilty digging in for a spoonful of this tasty Birthday Cake Chia Pudding. Avoid the empty calories and treat chia-self with this classic chia seed treat! Celebrate the Magic of Chia ® with us and create your own decadent dessert with just a handful of ingredients.
- 3 cups organic dairy-free milk
- 2/3 cups Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds
- 2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp organic agave
- Dash of organic rainbow sprinkles
- Whisk all ingredients together and transfer to small jars or bowls and chill for at least an hour.
- Garnish your chilled pudding with sprinkles of your choice!
Dig in and enjoy!
Happy National Refreshment Day!
Cool off with the family after a day in the sun! Enjoy summer’s most popular fruit with a little twist of chia seeds for the ultimate hydrating beverage. Sip on our Guava Watermelon Chia Fresca and serve up this tasty drink whichever way you prefer! We have kid-friendly and adults-only recipes to share so that souls of any age can enjoy this summery treat! You can even freeze any left overs to create your own homemade Guava Watermelon Chia Fresca popsicles for dessert! YUM!
- 1 organic seedless watermelon
- 1/2 cup Guava Mamma Chia Vitality Beverage
- 1 organic lime, freshly squeezed
- 1 Tbsp organic agave nectar
- Watermelon or lime wedges set aside for garnish (optional)
- 2 1/2 ounces White Rum
- 1 1/2 ounces Triple Sec
- Chop the watermelon into 2-inch chunks separating it from the rind and place 4 cups into a blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients from the list to the blender and puree everything until it reaches a frothy consistency.
- Pour the Chia Fresca over ice and garnish with a watermelon or lime wedge.
- Once the chia fresca is pureed, move to a beverage pitcher and add the Triple Sec and rum of your choice. Stir the additional ingredients until mixed well.
- Serve over ice and garnish with a watermelon or lime wedge.
Recently, I had the great privilege of reconnecting with Mamma Chia founder and CEO, Janie Hoffman. I reached out after re-reading her brilliant book, Chia Vitality and then using her amazing chia cookbook. Hoffman is one of those rare social entrepreneurs and business leaders who is humble to the core, leads every day with gratitude, and is constantly cultivating her curiosity. Read more…
When the weather warms up, our thoughts drift to seaside frolics with our favorite group of beach-going friends. So, we’ve taken to making our own portable paradise by packing a bag of beach essentials that includes snacks, drinks, and entertainment. Here are five items to bring beachside that’ll keep all your worries at bay. Click here to read more!
Did you think you could only reap the benefits of chia seeds by incorporating them into your snacks and meals? Well, who knew you could actually use chia seeds to create your own DIY spa day! We’ve got a handful of tips about how consuming chia can help your hair, skin and body experience the beauty benefits both inside and out!
Benefits of Chia Seeds for Hair
Our hair, just like chia, is full of protein, which is necessary to keep it strong and thick. Chia seeds are a nutritional powerhouse containing 20% more protein than soy beans, plus added Omega-3’s that are critical to help prevent hair loss. Adding chia seeds, a complete protein, to your diet can help promote luscious locks.
DIY Chia Seed Hair Mask
Give your tresses an extra boost of pampering with this DIY hair mask. Chia seeds are the perfect ingredient to add to any hair mask treatment of your choice since they are able to swell up to 12x their normal size when placed in water. This allows the chia seeds to create a gel like consistency that will hydrate your hair. Get summer ready locks with this hair mask recipe. All that is required is 4 simple ingredients: apple cider vinegar for glossiness, coconut oil to condition, chia seeds for hydration, and honey to smooth.
- 6 Tbsp of organic coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup of organic honey
- 1 tsp Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Pop the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt the coconut oil so it can be mixed with all the other ingredients. Set aside to cool.
- Gently work a pinch of the hair mask through your ends after shampooing and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. Rinse and enjoy your silky soft hair.
- Store leftovers in small glass container and use whenever you please.
Benefits of Chia Seeds for Skin
Your skin is the largest organ of your body, so it is important to take great care of maintaining healthy, supple skin. Soothe inflammation and calm acne blemishes with a chia face mask. The Omega-3 fatty acids in chia can help aid the healing process of irritated blemish wounds, as well as protect the outer layer of skin from bacteria.
DIY Chia Seed Face Mask
Exfoliate your pores with a refreshing 3 ingredient face mask and rejuvenate your face before you tackle the day. This mask will moisturize dry, sun-kissed skin with the power of chia seeds combined with coconut oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- 2 Tbsp Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds
- ½ cup organic coconut oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Combine all 3 ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Apply mask to face, avoiding contact with eyes. Let mask set for 5-10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to create a gel like consistency.
- Massage your face with a damp, warm washcloth moving in circular motions to exfoliate skin. Rinse off face with warm water and pat dry.
Are you new to incorporating chia into your meals or stumped as to what to create next with your chia seeds? We are here to help you out! We’ve put together The Ultimate Guide to Chia Pudding, highlighting our simplistic in-house recipes along with decadent chia seed masterpieces from our favorite bloggers. Seed Your Soul with recipes that are beginner friendly, using minimal ingredients, as well as intermediate recipes for those who enjoy playing with food art. Grab a bag of Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds and explore the possibilities with this neutrally flavored, but highly nutritious seed. Who knows, you might just stumble upon your very own chia-licious recipe! For more amazing recipes scroll to the bottom and download the full e-book, The Ultimate Guide to Chia Pudding. Get creative and enjoy!
1.Coconut Chia Rainbow Parfait | @earthyandy
3. Cake Batter Chia Pudding | @edibleash
4. Carrot Cake Chia Pudding | @blueberrysmoothies
DOWNLOAD THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CHIA PUDDING
By downloading this e-book, you are signing up for the Mamma Chia mailing list.
WHY WE LOVE: Perfectly paired strawberries and bananas are combined with fresh beets to make this Chia Squeeze simply irresistible! Seed Your Soul® with this delectable vitality snack wherever your daily journey takes you! Organic chia seeds are infused with delicious fruits and vegetables to create a convenient, fun and tasty snack for active people of all ages. Click here to see the entire article.
“Nutritious snacks are a must when traveling with kids,” says Jillian Michaels. “You don’t have to feed them junk when their blood sugar crashes.” The trainer, 42, chooses fare free of artificial ingredients for daughter Lukensia, 6, and son Phoenix, 4 (with fiancee Heidi Rhoades). Load up on her favorites! Click here to see the entire article.
One word sums up Mamma Chia’s Pinterest page: Inspirational. Mamma Chia taps into that brand gestalt with every board it’s created. Seeds of Knowledge, Gratitude, and Joy are well thought-out, brand-centric examples of those ubiquitous “inspirational sayings” boards you see peppered throughout Pinterest. Click here to read the entire interview.
Spring Cleaning DIY: Non-Toxic Household Cleaner
With spring in full swing, it’s time to rid our homes of dirt and debris (especially with allergy season upon us)! With a plethora of chemical-based cleaners occupying the shelves, we wanted put together these easy-to-use, non-toxic cleaners for you to make at home. After all, the home should be treated as a sacred space, not a space full of toxic chemicals! Non-toxic, biodegradable matter is so important for us to utilize in every aspect of our lives, from food to cleaning products.
What You’ll Need…
- Pure baking soda
- Pure-castile liquid soap (we love Dr. Bronner’s organic and fair trade soaps!)
- 100% pure tea tree essential oil
- Organic apple cider vinegar (we love Bragg’s!)
- Spray bottle(s)
This cleaner will be your new best friend! With pure essential oils and organic soap, you will love the aroma this non-toxic cleaner will release in your home! Measure 1/4 cup Dr. Bronner Pure-Castile Soap (we love the lavender scent!) with 1 quart water in a spray bottle. Add 25 drops of pure tea tree essential oil. Adjust measurements as needed to fit your spray bottle.
Measure 1/3 – 1/2 cup pure-castile liquid soap for a large load + 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar to the rinse cycle. Use half the amount for high efficiency (HE) washers. Vinegar works magic on your clothes! It helps to remove musty odors and brighten colors! Tip: prevent bright colored clothes from staining other garments by soaking them in vinegar for 20 minutes before their first wash!
Measure 1/2 cup pure-castile liquid soap with 3 gallons of hot water.
Measure 1 Tbsp. pure-castile liquid soap with 1 quart of water in a spray bottle. Spray down your windows and wipe with a cloth soaked in half water half vinegar mixture.
Predilute pure-castile liquid soap 1:4 with water in a squirt bottle and add 25 drops of pure tea tree oil. Turn off the water on the side of the toilet and then flush to drain the water out of your toilet. Spray down the inside of the toilet bowl with the spray bottle contents and let sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle baking soda on toilet cleaning brush and scrub toilet thoroughly. Turn the water on to fill the bowl with water, then flush.
Grateful Greens Smoothie Bowl
We are celebrating the first week of spring with this tasty green smoothie bowl packed with refreshing fruit, veggies and a splash of our Magical Chia & Greens beverage! Fire up that blender, grab a bowl, pile on toppings, and enjoy this green goodness we had to share!
Smoothie Bowl Base:
- 1 organic pineapple spear
- 1 large organic banana
- 1 small organic lime wedge w/skin
- 1 peeled organic tangelo or small orange
- 1 tbsp organic agave nectar
- 1 cup organic spinach
- 1/4 cup Organic Chia & Greens – Grateful Greens
- 1 1/2 cup ice (add more if base is not thick enough)
Smoothie Bowl Toppings:
- organic pineapple
- organic strawberry
- organic banana
- shredded organic coconut
- Mamma Chia Organic White Chia Seeds (of course!)
- add anything your taste buds desire and be creative!
- Combine all smoothie bowl base ingredients into the blender, adding ice last
- Blend until your ingredients have reached a thick consistency
- Pour smoothie bowl base into a bowl and add your favorite toppings!
Mamma Chia Joyful Greens was featured in Phil’s Food Reviews as a Pick of the Week! We caught up with Janie Hoffman, Mamma Chia Founder and CEO, to find out more about how this hit new product was developed.
Click here to read the entire interview.
One such emerging brand tapping into consumers’ desire for new and interesting products that engage consumers in culinary, wellness and fresh experiences is Mamma Chia. Hartbeat recently sat down with Janie Hoffman, Mamma Chia founder and CEO, to chat about the company’s roots and consumer reactions to its unique offerings. Click here to read the entire interview.
Top 5 Favorite Green Foods to Eat
Hello March! We’re feelin’ more green than normal this month and we mean it in a good way! Time to start grubbing on the Magic of these power veggies and discover new facts about our top 5 greens to eat! They’ll be sure to keep you extra groovy this month!
Skip the fruits with this green veggie that’s ready to fill your belly up. One cup of fresh broccoli is equivalent to an orange, giving you your full daily serving of vitamin C! Broccoli, just like chia seeds, are high in fiber and it just so happens our new Chia & Greens beverages contain the two! So grab a bottle, drink up and get a double whammy of both nutrient packed foods!
Kale Yeah! This power green is great source of alpha-linoleic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fatty acid, which is essential for brain health. Did you know most of the kale in the U.S is grown in California? No wonder we’re nicknamed Kale-ifornia!
Throw together a quick kale salad to keep you sustained throughout the day. Kale and Honeycrisp Apple Salad: 2 handfuls of Kale, half of a honeycrisp apple diced, 1 tbsp dried cranberries, 1 tbsp feta cheese, 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, add any dressing of your choice.
Be “cool as a cucumber” with this refreshing snack. This veggie may not be considered a power green, but its special powers have us wanting more, which is why this veggie is on our top 5 list. Don’t drink enough water during the day? Crunch on some cucumber slices to hydrate your soul since they’re made up of 95% water, keeping you full and kicking any hunger cravings to the curb!
Kick back and relax with this light and easy salad from The Fresh Find! Tomato, Cucumber, and Mint Salad: 2 medium cucumbers, 3 roma tomatoes, 1/2 small onion, 1/2 medium avocado, 1 handful of mint, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar.
With Kale taking the current spotlight in the “power green” category, nutrient-rich spinach is often left in the dark. This leafy green is exceptionally beneficial for our vegan and vegetarian friends, as it is high in niacin, zinc, protein, fiber, vitamins C, A, E and K, thiamine, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium and copper. Wow! This soft and flavorful green is a wonderful addition to any smoothie, juice, or salad!
Sauté a handful of spinach in a pan with a small drizzle of olive oil, and you’ve got a nutritious and delicious side dish. Add 1 Tbsp. of chia seeds for even more added nutrients!
5. Swiss Chard
It’s evident how nutritious this plant is by its bright-colored stalks and dark green leaves! The high fiber content in this plant (4g in 1 cup of cooked chard) is perfect for aiding digestion, as well as regulating blood sugar levels and improving overall colon health.
Incorporate swiss chard into your next smoothie with this simple and tasty recipe! Swiss Chard and Mango Smoothie: blend 1 cup of swiss chard with 1 cup frozen mango, ½ cup water, ½ cup ice, 1 lime wedge, and fresh squeezed juice of ½ an orange. Enjoy!
Coconut Yogurt Parfait by Connor Haris
Happy Healthy New Year!
This chia-licious Coconut Yogurt Parfait is a fun way to fuel up and get back on track with our 2016 health goals. Big thanks to our favorite male vegan Instagrammer @connorharis for inspiring us with this beautiful creation! Who knew healthy eating could look good and taste even better!?
- 16 oz. of plain or vanilla flavored coconut yogurt
- Granola of your choice (pairs wonderfully with our Vanilla Almond Chia Granola Clusters)
- 1/3 cup Mamma Chia Organic Black Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbsp. of added sweetener of your choice (optional)
- Mixed berries of your choice
- Create your chia seed gel by simply mixing 1/3 cup of chia seeds with 8 oz. of water + a tablespoon of any added sweetener you prefer (or 8 oz. milk of your choice for chia pudding), let it sit aside for 15 minutes to let the chia seeds soak and expand into a pudding like consistency.
- Gather your other ingredients and begin to layer your parfait in any order you desire.
- Dig in and enjoy!
About the author:
Connor Haris is a teen food Instagrammer who started his health journey at the age of 13 after facing multiple life threatening diseases and mental issues. Connor created his YouTube channel and Instagram to document his journey and share his experiences with his followers. Connor’s Instagram @connorharis has reached an audience of over 13 thousand and growing, and his YouTube channel has over 100 thousand views.
“I want to give people hope that living a healthy and compassionate lifestyle is not just possible for all ages but is also an extraordinary and vibrant way of living.”
Organic is Non-GMO
We love our Mamma Chia community and enjoy the authentic connections and personal interactions we share. One of the questions we often get is whether Mamma Chia products are Non-GMO. Being Non-GMO is part of the USDA Certification process, so as all Mamma Chia products are USDA Organic, they are naturally Non-GMO too!
What does it mean to be Organic?
USDA Certified Organic products are produced without the use of toxic pesticides and fertilizers, antibiotics, synthetic hormones, genetic engineering, sewage sludge (yes! that’s a conventional farming input), or irradiation. Yay! Who wants that?!
And, in order for Organic farms and processors to get certified they:
- Do not use genetically modified ingredients
- Preserve natural resources and biodiversity
- Support animal health and welfare
- Provide access to the outdoors so that animals can exercise their natural behaviors
- Only use approved materials
- Receive annual onsite inspections
- Separate organic food from non-organic food
What does it mean to be Non-GMO (Non-Genetically Modified)?
Foods that are Non-GMO are free from genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and are not created in a laboratory using genetic engineering techniques.
Is Non-GMO always Organic?
No, it’s not! Non-GMO is one of the many benefits you get when you buy organic, but just because a product is Non-GMO, does not mean it is also organic.
Mamma Chia is a passionate supporter of the labeling of genetically modified foods and believe everyone should have the opportunity to make informed choices about what goes into their bodies – because we love Mamma Earth and her people!
It’s fairly common to have a new beverage brand insist that it’s creating a new segment. It’s not as common to have that actually happen. But that’s essentially what occurred in 2009 when Janie Hoffman founded Mamma Chia after she discovered the wonders of the chia seed. Read more…
I recently had the pleasure of meeting Mamma Chia founder Janie Hoffman, who like me has overcome years of health crises and restored her health by changing her lifestyle to incorporate more plant-based, anti-inflammatory foods. Hoffman’s goal is to share the magic of chia seeds, and create a brand that will honor and uplift humanity — a message easily interpreted by the brand’s brightly covered packaging. Watch the video and read more…
Walking up and down the aisles at Natural Products Expo, you’ll see chia everywhere—in chips, granolas, beverages, cookies and bars. But it wasn’t always that way. When Janie Hoffman, the founder and CEO of Mamma Chia, founded the company in 2009, the superseed hadn’t yet gone mainstream. Watch the video and read more…
According To Janie Hoffman Of Mamma Chia
If part of your New Year’s resolution was to live better and eat healthier, chances are you’ve come across chia seeds in wanderings for nutritious snacks. They’re having a bit of a food moment and for good reason. Not only do they play well with other ingredients, but they also offer a host of health benefits. We got the deets on chia seeds from Janie Hoffman, founder of Mamma Chia. Read more…
Consumers in the United States and around the world continue to snack more and more every day, with less room for traditional meals. While this trend is influenced by many factors, the key demographic driving it is millennials, the generation of Americans born roughly between 1977 and 1995 who account for nearly a quarter of the total U.S. population. Read more…
Walking up and down the aisles at Natural Products Expo, you’ll see chia everywhere—in chips, granolas, beverages, cookies and bars. But it wasn’t always that way. When Janie Hoffman, the founder and CEO of Mamma Chia, founded the company in 2009, the superseed hadn’t yet gone mainstream. Read more and watch the video!
This is exemplified by Mamma Chia Organic Chia & Greens. The new line combines the nutritional powerhouse of chia with vibrant greens, including kale, spinach, broccoli, spirulina, barley grass and wheatgrass. Mamma Chia Organic Chia & Greens offers one of the most nutrient-rich green beverages on the shelf. Read more…
If you haven’t experienced Mamma Chia’s drinks, you’re missing out. Ever since the recent explosive popularity of chia seeds and all of their health benefits, Mamma Chia has been flying off the shelf. And for good reason, their drinks are so delicious and unlike any other drink on the planet. Read more…
Janie Hoffman launched a revolution in 2009 when she boldly took chia seeds from the bulk section to the beverage cooler. The color, unique look and even the gelled texture captured customers and created a category that practically stands on its own as food-makers followed her lead and added chia boosters or put the seeds center stage in new products. Read more…
Mamma Chia, a leading producer of organic, chia-based foods and beverages, made its second appearance at the National Association of Convenience Stores show. In a video interview filmed at the event, Matt Buckley, Mamma Chia’s senior vice president of sales and marketing, discussed the company’s foray into convenience stores, noting that the retailing channel may offer access to millennial consumers. Read more…
Every year at Natural Products Expo West and Natural Products Expo East, editors and trend researchers from New Hope Natural Media and Sterling-Rice Group scour the show floor to find the products and brands they predict will shape the future of the natural products industry. The best of the best receive NEXTY nominations, which recognize the companies that embody not only the most innovative edge of the natural products industry, but also its deeply held social and environmental values. Click here to read the full article.
This product is a hit! 1,000 mg of Omega 3s and 1,000% great taste. This bar is delicious. Packed with blueberries, almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, cherries, currants, raisins and, of course, Chia seeds. One bite and you’ll be hooked.
Click here to watch the video clip.
Energy Drinks Are Still Going Strong! Marketers should also note ongoing activity in organic energy drinks. More specialized introductions include Mamma Chia’s Chia Vitality energy drinks with chia seeds, guayusa, and fruit juices. Click here to read the full article.
Chia & Greens Rated 4.5 of 5 by BevNET! With its dark red-colored liquid, the Love Greens variety of Mamma Chia’s USDA Organic certified Chia & Greens line is certainly the most unique looking of the bunch. It’s also the most unique tasting, with the unmistakable flavor of beet juice hitting your palate relatively quickly. Read more…
The folks at Mamma Chia decided to make a good thing even better with their Chia Squeeze pouches. They took the basic fruit puree base, made it 100% organic, and added hydrated chia seeds to ramp up the nutrition factor with 1200 mg of brain-boosting Omega 3s, 4 grams of fiber and 2 grams of complete protein in every pouch. Read more…
When lots of new products are stocked, Zack Hellmann, 26, swings through a couple of times a week. He hangs out, chats with other customers and sometimes takes home a keeper of a product he’d never noticed at his grocery store, like the Mamma Chia brand vitality snack he sampled. [n.b., Chia Squeeze retail price is $1.79 not $4.00 as reported in the article] Read more…
Mamma Chia’s Clean Energy beverages were featured in the Specialty Food Association’s Summer 2015 issue on Out of the Ordinary Drinks. “Desire for clean energy without the jitters has led to a category of natural energy drinks with guayusa or yerba mate.” Click here to read more!
Mamma Chia’s Organic Chia Granola Clusters was awarded Delicious Living’s 2015 Best Bite award for Best Granola! Available in 3 tasty flavors – Wild Blueberry, Vanilla Almond and Cinnamon Pecan – each serving contains 10g of Protein (Soy free and Dairy free!), is organic, non-GMO and gluten free. Click here to read more!
Mamma Chia Founder & CEO, Janie Hoffman, visited Ken Rutkowski, host of Business Rockstars, for a fun, informative and unpredictable interview! Business Rockstars is carried in over 170 markets and reaches over
1 million viewers daily!
Snack Fairly with These Nine Outstanding Brands: Mamma Chia donates 1 percent of its gross sales to build tenable food systems by supporting farmers and community groups around the world. The company is also… Read more…
Mamma Chia Organic Chia Granola Clusters were selected as a finalist for a 2015 Foodie Award by Vegetarian Times! Available in 3 delicious flavors: Vanilla Almond, Wild Blueberry and Cinnamon Pecan, our Chia Granola Clusters deliver 10g of Protein (Soy and Dairy free!), are gluten-free, Non-GMO and certified Organic! Read more…
Real Leaders Magazine featured an interview with Mamma Chia CEO & Founder, Janie Hoffman, talking about the skyrocketing popularity of chia as well as the story of how she started Mamma Chia in her kitchen, the company’s social mission and the importance of organic food in the world. Read more…
Fox5 News San Diego featured Mamma Chia as one of the best healthy beverages available in local San Diego markets on its “Healthy Beverage Shopping” segment!
Produce Business Magazine featured Mamma Chia Organic Vitality Bars and Chia Granola Clusters in its May 2015 article about new products appearing in the produce aisles of stores. Read more…
Mamma Chia Founder & CEO, Janie Hoffman, answers a fun and wide range of questions in Ken Rutkowski’s 60-second CEO segment on Business Rockstars!
Business Rockstars is carried in over 170 markets and reaches over 1 million viewers daily!
Mamma Chia Organic Chia Granola Clusters were featured on FOX5 Morning News and selected as a Healthy Food Find by Merilee Kern!
Mamma Chia Organic Chia Squeeze was selected by Good Housekeeping Magazine as a “Best of the Test” for breakfast! “If you’re craving a smoothie and don’t have time to make one, these squeeze pouches are your best bet. Our favorite: Mamma Chia in Strawberry Banana.” Read more…
From The Chia Cookbook by Janie Hoffman, Sticky Chia Brown Rice with Fried Egg: Chia seeds add crunch and extra omega-3s to this simple sticky rice and fried egg dish. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner — it will keep you satisfied any time of day. Read more…
Cognitive health appeals to all ages! Mamma Chia’s Vitality Energy contains 2,500mg of omega-3’s in a 10 oz. bottle. Read more…