Fourth of July is right around the corner and we are leaping with joy for the festivities that are about to commence! There’s something about the good food and warm weather that makes our Souls sing! Looking back at childhood memories, we have to admit that food is half the fun! That said, we put together some healthy, chia-powered recipes for sharing that are not only delicious, but nutrient-packed too! Here are 4 fun and festive recipes to make your 4th of July sparkle with joy! ????????✨
Blissfully Patriotic Blueberry Pie [GLUTEN FREE]
This pie will take your 4th of July festivities to the next level! Sweet blueberries combine with our tasty Blackberry Bliss Chia Squeeze to make this a treat your guests will never forget (with half the guilt)!
For the dough:
- 2 ½ cups organic all-purpose gluten free flour
- 2 Tbsp. organic sugar
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. salt
- 12 Tbsp. organic cold butter or vegetable shortening
- 2 organic eggs
- 4 tsp. organic lemon juice or vinegar
For the filling:
- 5 cups fresh organic blueberries
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed organic lemon juice
- 1 Mamma Chia Organic Blackberry Bliss Chia Squeeze
- 3 Tbsp. organic cornstarch
- ½ cup organic coconut sugar + extra for sprinkling on top
- ¼ tsp. organic cinnamon
- 1 large organic egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp. water (for egg wash).
- Vegan? Use organic coconut oil!
If using store-bought dough (which is totally fine!) skip steps 1-7:
- Mix together flour, xanthan gum, salt and sugar.
- Cut the butter or shortening into small chunks and work them into the flour mixture until crumbly.
- Whisk the egg and lemon juice or vinegar together till very foamy. Mix into the flour/butter mixture until it all hold together, adding 1-3 additional tablespoons of cold water if necessary.
- Shape dough into a large ball and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour (up to overnight).
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before rolling.
- Cut mixture in half and roll into 2 balls (one for each crust or topping).
- With floured hands, roll 1 of the dough balls and place onto a sheet of floured parchment or wax paper.
- Lightly grease your 9” pie pan and place the bottom dough layer into the pan. Cover crust with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out the other ball (your top crust) into a circle approximately 1 inch larger in diameter than pie pan. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. NOTE: If making a lattice crust, roll into 1/8 inch thick rectangle (approx. 11 x 14 inches). Cut into 10 separate strips (about ¾ inch wide). Cover strips in plastic wrap and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Place one oven rack on the bottom and one in the middle. Preheat your over to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice and Blackberry Bliss Chia Squeeze, gradually sprinkling in cornstarch, until smooth. Stir in coconut sugar and cinnamon. Fold in blueberries to coat. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Take crust out of refrigerator (if you haven’t done so already) and pour blueberry mixture into prepared bottom crust.
- Brush the rim of the crust with egg wash or coconut oil.
- Place top crust on and crimp together edges with fingertips to seal the bottom and top crusts. Be sure to cut some slits for ventilation. If using a cookie cutter to create a star vents, do so right before placing your crust on top of your pie. NOTE: If dough seems soft and warm, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes.
- Brust crust with egg wash or coconut oil, sprinkle with coconut sugar and place pie on baking sheet on the bottom rack for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F and transfer pie (while still on baking sheet) to center rack and continue baking for 30-40 minutes. If edges begin to brown, cover the edges with foil. If the entire top crust starts to brown too quickly, tent pie loosely with foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool to set and thicken. Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Red, White, and Blue Chia Pudding (Serves 4)
Layer it up and get a spoonful of this quick treat! This festive snack is vegan friendly so all souls can enjoy during your Fourth of July celebration.
- 1/3 cup Mamma Chia Organic Chia Seeds
- 1/4 cup organic raspberries
- 1/4 cup organic strawberries
- 1 cup organic non-dairy milk (we used full-fat coconut milk in a can)
- 1 Tbsp of organic sweetener of your choice: agave, maple syrup, honey, etc. (Optional)
- Prepare each layer one at a time.
- Red Layer – Place raspberries, strawberries, dairy-free milk, and sweetener (optional) into a blender. Blend ingredients together until its smooth. Pour into a sealed container and add chia seeds. Stir the seeds with the liquid until completely mixed. Cover and place in refrigerator.
- White Layer – Mix dairy-free milk in a small bowl or container with chia seeds, agave, and vanilla extract. Cover and place in refrigerator.
- Blue Layer –In a blender combine dairy-free milk and blueberries, blending until smooth. Move liquid to a sealed container and add the remaining chia seeds to the mixture and stir. Cover and place in the refrigerator
- Let all 3 layers sit overnight allowing the chia seeds to fully expand and create a pudding-like consistency. NOTE: It often helps to mix the pudding again after the 1st hour being chilled.
- Take all 3 chia puddings out and begin to layer each color on top of one another one at a time in a clear glass or bowl.
- Feel free to garnish with extra berries leftover and enjoy!
Patriotic Pops (Makes 6 pops)
“Beet” the heat with these healthy pops that include our newest Chia Squeeze flavor, Cherry Beet, to add some tartness to everyone’s favorite frozen treat!
- 2 cups non-dairy yogurt (we used So-Delicious Vanilla flavored Coconut Milk yogurt)
Extra supplies you’ll need:
- 5 oz paper cups
- Paper straws or wooden popsicle sticks
- Red Layer – Blend one Cherry Beet Chia Squeeze with raspberries and strawberries until it reaches a purée consistency. Set aside 6 paper cups, these will be your Popsicle molds. Disperse the red layer equally into all 6 cups and immediately place in the freezer for 2 hours.
- White Layer – Once the red layer is frozen, remove molds from the freezer and add any non-dairy yogurt of your choice to the mold to create the middle white layer. When finished adding the second layer, gently add paper straws or Popsicle sticks. If you decide to use paper straws, snip each straw in half so the stick won’t be too long when placed into the mold. Place pops back in to the freezer for 2 more hours.
- Blue Layer – Blend one Wild Raspberry Chia Squeeze and blueberries until ingredients are completely puréed. Remove pops one last time and add the final layer. Place pops back into the freezer and let it sit overnight.
- Remove pops when you’re ready to eat. Run the paper cups under warm running water, rotating the cup around for 30 seconds. Carefully twist and pull pop from mold and enjoy!
Red, White and Blue Chia Pudding Yogurt Parfait by Melissa P.
@Melissa_Gin_Khaao‘s Pink Dragonfruit/blue spirulina chia pudding with raspberry/blueberry compote, granola and vanilla greek yogurt.
▪ 1 Cup Chia Pudding:
▪ 1/4 Cup Mamma Chia Organic Black Chia Seeds
▪ 3/4 Cup Mamma Chia Organic Unsweetened Vanilla Chiamilk
▪ 1 Tbsp Cream of Coconut
▪ 1 Tsp Almond Extract
• 1 Tsp Blue Spirulina
• 1 Tsp Pink Dragonfruit Powder
▪ For Parfait Add:
• Vanilla Greek Yogurt
• Organic Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries & Blueberries
Begin by preparing both a red and blue Chia Pudding using the chia seeds, Chiamilk, cream of coconut, almond extract and either the blue spirulina or pink dragonfruit powder. Each 1/4 cup of chia seeds combined with the other ingredients and soaked in the refrigerator overnight will create 1 cup of colorful chia pudding!
Once your red and blue chia puddings are ready to go, combine in a cup by layering with your choice of granola, Greek Yogurt (we recommend vanilla) and an assortment of organic strawberries and raspberries for reds and organic blackberries and blueberries for blues!